Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Monday, February 23, 2009

Valentine's Party review

I know, I am so far behind! Sorry!
For the second year Jim and I have been invited to a Valentine's Day party. At the party we are required to write a poem that we will read and then will be judged. Last year I wrote a poem the metaphors of our love. I didn't keep it but some of the metaphors I used were:
You are the pickety third in my song of life.
You are the Velcro of my depends. *
You are the leavening in my bread.

This year I decided to take on a tougher challenge, a sonnet. Writing a sonnet is not easy. Not only is there a strict structure (Shakespearean sonnet ABABCDCDEFEF GG, iambic pentameter, but a main metaphor that is argued and then the idea turned and the reader comes to a different understanding by the end.) Doesn't make sense? You are not alone. Therefore, I decided to write a snottet. It is not quiet a sonnet but I did try to follow the rules when I could or stretch the rules. I didn't want to write my snottet because it is not a sonnet, but then again, this is probably the only Snottet you have read.
If you can't write anything nice, then just say, "You are awesome!"

Snottet 109
by me
How often life is like a stormy sea.
Only with love we make Poseidon’s truce.
The rolling waves a chariot for he
the toumberleki of the sky sounds deuce.
He rushes onward trident war is coming
The salpinx cry no man can comprehend,
a sacrifice for war the God is drumming.
No boat of wood or steel can stay a mend.
But with anchoring lovers hand in hand,
the voices of the sea can not touch ear.
Unafraid of the end we make our stand
for better, worse, life and death we are here.
I am stronger because we’re forever
I know this is sappy, but whatever.

Hints:(This makes it look like my snottet is all serious)
Poseidon- Greek God of water, earthquakes and horses
toumberleki-Greek goblet drum
deuce-I used this word because thunder and lightning are a pair as are husband and wife. Oh!and it rhymes with truce
trident- a three pronged spear that Poseidon uses, also three is a significant number (husband, wife and God) (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)
salpinx-an ancient Greek trumpet. used in war or for chariot races
For better, worse, life and death- represent marriage
Forever- a forever marriage

Here is Jim's wonderful poem. Good thing I saved the best for last. It's quiet depressing because it took me awhile to write my snottet and jim was able to write out his poem really fast and it's really cute. (sad sigh)

While you were away.
By Jimbo
You're still away and I need to make dinner,
If you don't come back I'll be much thinner.
I look in the cupboards and see nothing ready,
No steak, no lasagna, not even spaghetti.
Yesterday I had chicken and...chicken;
I don't even have bread; the clock is still tickin'
My stomach is empty! What should I do?
I don't need a feast or anything new.
Shouldn't take long, there's a lot that I lack.
then I see it, tucked deep in the back;
A little tin can with beans and with pork;
I open the drawer, oh good a clean fork!
But no plate, oh well I open the can.
Stick in my fork and eat like a man.
Does it taste good? I really don't care.
The flavor of food is neither here nor there.
Because you're away; when your're back I'll think;
Of how everything tastes that I eat and I drink.
when you're gone food is food, a means to an end,
Taste only matters when I'm with my best friend.

AWWW! Thanks Hubby Wubby Poo!
*Melanie gets some credit here.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

Snottet! ROFS (Rolling on the floor snorting) You crack me up, and you ARE awesome!

Jim, I like your poem too. It is cute and the last line redeems the rest of it, ya know.

HappyStretchedThin said...

The Greeks thought there was no greater call than a poet
And my brother and sister-in-law both don't know it
But rhyming and form bring us deepness and smiles
And one big cheesy "AW!" from away these long miles
For we knew from the get go, you're like saucer and cup
A great pair, we could tell, 'cuz you both crack us up!

Luvs,
Cary

Kristina P. said...

You guys are awesome! Jim's poem made me laugh.

helmhq said...

I still think your poem is awesome Bethanie, and I'm glad you let us read Jim's. His is so Man like!! especially when you look at the man in this house.

PS "wordsco" perfect for this post

Jared said...

I eat ice cream.

Smart Helm said...

I didn't know u had posted! Dumb work computers just take an old page and put it up instead of refreshing... BLECH.

U know I love ur Snottet. Ur so smart.

Oh yes, and Jim's is nice too :-)

txparkinsons said...

dang ... now i just feel dumb ...

wv-coths --- something shakespeare said when they asked him why ...

Unknown said...

Wow, you are both quite talented. Do you remember that poetry reading evening we did in 8th grade for that weird teacher (Mrs. Morrison)? The only thing I remember about it is that she only let me read one poem instead of two (everyone else got to read two) because none of my poems were very good. Don't you feel bad for me?

Emily Nice said...

Wow what a tallented family.
No more rhymes I mean it!

anybody want a peanut?