Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Family Reunion Part 2

These are pictures from the second day of our family reunion and the "family parting pictures".
I made Jim stop on the side of the road so that I could get a picture of "old mining stuff". It's okay to be a tourist once in a while. As long as it is ONCE IN A WHILE.
Melanie came along with us as we walked through Deadwood's grave yard. Yes, it is kinda strange but what was really strange was we had to pay to get in! And guess what, we fell for it and gave them our $$. Sad, sad, sad...
This was one of the Head Stones so you can tell I wasn't lying about the grave yard. I love this picture because of the man child hiding in the upper right corner!
After lunch we went to Lead and looked at there big open pit. It was actually really fascinating and I really enjoyed looking at rocks with gold in them. To bad they wouldn't let me take any of them home. Plus the rocks were behind plastic.

Some of us were trying really hard to get at the gold...

And others...not so much.



Cousin Sarah came and hanged out with us. Looks like she was have the time of her life doesn't it. She was a good sport and it was fun to have her with us. Thanks Sarah! Since they wouldn't let us take home the rocks filled with gold we decided to go looking for gold ourselves. We pulled off of the road and let Emily try her luck with gold panning. We were only missing two things, the pans and the gold.


Melanie got tired of the man child and almost threw him into the river, but she changed her mind when she saw I was taking pictures.


Looking for gold.



I'm sorry we didn't find any but we sure got close...at least I think so... I sure felt in my gut that we were close to something... golden.


Our family photos before we all headed home.
I'm I really that nerdy looking?
For Melanie S. Helm:I know! I know it isn't much writting, but we all can't have smart for our middle name. Just saying...

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Maybe Angela needs to post something now, so she can get some screen time...

Those pictures of thorp are great!

Smart Helm said...

Thanks Bethanie for more write up! As Emily said somewhere else (I don't remember where) I like to read other's take on the FR.

Those are some awesome rocks. Too bad Angela took them home in HER car! I forgot to take them out. Sad.

Smart Helm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily Nice said...

Yay for your blog! Yay for family! Yay for our family reunion! Yay!

It was lots of fun and I'm glad you wrote about it.

Montana at the Helm said...

Once again, I like your description of the reunion happenings. I didn't realize you guys had to pay to get into the cemetery, weird!

I loved how Andrew kept saying "that's my cousin Gage"! It really is too bad we aren't closer so they can play together. So when are you moving to Montana???

helmhq said...

I had to go back and see what Heidi was talking about. Pretty funny that just Angela is hidden. Thanks for your angle on a great FR.

txparkinsons said...

will my comment be approved? my comment is

ARGH!

he-he ..