Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Have you ever

Have you ever been so bored that you thought about picking your nose just so you had something to do?

Me neither, but I was this close ( ______) to doing it.

Let me first give you the excuse for my... for lack of a better word, laziness. As you know the flu has been going through my family like shared chocolate so I spend most of the day lugging around the man child. He is not the kind of child that will sit and watch a movie or lay quietly in his bed, but rather a follow Mommy and whine type.

So today not only was I feeling drained but I also felt slightly off. Oh dear! Am I hungry or is my stomach beginning to show signs of illness. I was just sick so I couldn’t be coming down with the flu again right? RIGHT??? (insert stressed face)

I decided that the best thing for me to do was to camp out on the couch and think of nothing stressful. I held still, thought happy thoughts and hummed things like, bright paper packages tied up in string and snow flakes that land on my nose and eyelashes. But I found it hard to focus and the children kept interrupting me.

Well, I got bored thinking about things not to do. I thought about not doing the laundry, or not doing the dishes, of not sending out bills. In fact, I was thinking of not doing anything productive.

It felt weird.

I just couldn't find the rhythm or the groove of boredom. I remember this feeling from my teenage years (I mean, to be honest I was never truly bored because only boring people are bored.) but I must have forgotten about the numbness it caused on my bottom right cheek or the steady ticking in my eye.

After much coaxing and 4 pick me up, pre-game coaching speeches and cheers I did something productive and useful. We all got our toes and finger nails painted. Even the man child participated.

7 comments:

Sorensen said...

Pedicures are the best medicine. Hope you feel better!

Smart Helm said...

I'd like to see those cheers. If they got those toes painted, it must have been pretty good!

Good luck finding more things NOT to do.

Emily Nice said...

Are you still having camera/computer problems? I'd love to see pictures of the toes!

Hope everything turns out ok and that your unproductiveness was productive in keeping you from getting ill.

Andrea said...

I can't help but wonder if you're alluding to baby number 4...

I mean come on - feeling a little "off", a HUGE "4" in your last paragraph...it makes me wonder.

I like to read into things, but am I right?:)

Montana at the Helm said...

I agree with the boredom philosophy. I am usually bored because there are things I should be doing that I don't want to do because I would rather be doing something more fun!

Neita and Nate said...

I agree with Andrea. As I was reading that is what came to my head. So......

txparkinsons said...

andrew is a real man ... has he asked for his own "bag" yet?

we explore 'bored' as an art here ...