This weekend we have been living like Laura Ingalls Wilder. Of course I have to take on the roll of Ma, though it really would be much more fun to be in Farmer Boy (you can not read that book without getting hungry).
The idea was fun for the first 5 minutes and 34 second. Then reality hit me like the smell of dirty dishes. Which isn't an exaggeration because the sink was full, both sides with dirty dishes. And not the easy just rinsed off kind of dishes, but the dried on oatmeal kind.
PART ONE- Saterday
We noticed that there was a strange smell downstairs coming from our water heater. But we had to hurry out to the park for the girls soccer games.I was so worried about our house starting on fire that on our way home, when I smelled smoke for a minute there my heart panicked and I didn't know if I should to just sit down and cry or be a heroine and run in and save the cats...and pictures, viola and movies, the newly painted furniture because hey, I have spent a lot of time on it and of course the vacuum that actually works and my red tea kettle because I like it and the gee-tar that is not mine...
but it was someone just burning something. Few! My nicely plucked eyebrows were not going to be singed off.
When we got home, the smell (from the water heater-not the dishes) was even stronger. So off went the water heater. No problem. I'm not worried or stressed. How hard can it be spending a weekend without hot water. I'm A-o-k!
Do you know how much a person uses hot water? A (insert stressed word here) TON!*
I took a shower right after the water heater was turned off so I was safe. The kids also needed baths, which we should have done right away, but we waited until later. I did some laundry (only colds) and thought that we were doing great...
PART TWO-Sunday morning.
Only the girls were left to bath but by then the water coming out of the piper was freezing cold.** It took a lot, LOT and more LOT-A-LOTS to get that water up to bathtub ready temperature.
I had all my pots and red tea kettle going. It took two loads of everything I had. *** But bathed they did!
NJ wanted to do the dishes yesterday. Like I was going to say, "No honey. Dishes are awful. You hate doing dishes, remember? Just load the dishwasher." So I boiled her some water for washing and rinsing. She loved every minute of it. ^ I guess she loves playing Little Town Between Corn Fields and Dairy Farms more then me.
It seemed like I was boiling water all weekend long!
Hopeful we will be able to do something about it soon because right now I have the whites soaking in hot water in my huge canning pot on the laundry room floor and I can only fit so many. At least after they soak for a while I don't mind washing them in cold.
Blah!
* I bet that this happened to me because just the night before I read the article about water in the National Geographic. You have been warned. I wash my hands (with handsanatizer) if you get jinked.
** Ok, maybe not freezing, but cold enough that your hand began to hurt after being in it too long. Kinda made it hard for the kids to wash their hands...not that they do a great job of it the first place.
***Just this morning I remembered I have a huge pot for canning. With my stock pot and canning pot I had enough hot water to give myself a bath.
^ I'm jumping up and down right now. I have a daughter who loves to do the dishes! Too bad loading the dishwashing isn't just as fun.
6 comments:
I'm sorry ur hot water heater went out! I'm impressed with ur "Little Town..etc" know-how. And it was a lovely story.
GOOD LUCK!
Imagining living like the Ingall's always seems nostalgic until I get a small taste of it and then all desires to live that life vanish! I love my hot water!!
Sorry about the water heater. What a pain.
When I was little I always wanted my parents to turn off all the electricity so we could use candles to get around the house at night. I always wondered why they thought this was a bad idea...
Hot running water has to be one of the greater blessings in life. I remembered that, every time our furnace went out and then when we replaced the whole heating system so it wouldn't keep happening. Good you have a sense of humor about it, and can show your children how you handle the little discomforts of life. Why do we always have to have troubles to to become really grateful for our blessings?
I don't think they washed as much back then. (just on Sunday's) and good wood stoves had hot water resevoirs which meant there was always some hot water available. I guess that wasn't the point of your post, but sometimes I start on a tangent and can't get off. Oh well, you still love me. Right? hope things get worked out soon and glad your house wasn't burned down. If it was you could come live with me....
Bethanie, are you getting emails about our class reunion this summer? If not, email me, and I'll pass it on to Becca Fellers, who is planning the thing.
Post a Comment