Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Black Beans



We eat a lot of black beans in our home but the man child thinks they're not cool. Ok! he says they are yucky and just smashes the miserable suckers into his plate. But I have found a way to get him to eat those, oh so nasty beans.
Normally, the only way I can get him to eat the beans (now bean pancakes dried to his plate) is to have a dessert afterwards or have some kind of motivational bread product. I am perfectly serious when I say he could live on bread alone.*
It never fails that a 1/2 hour later, after eating a beanie meal, he asks for bread or some cereal to help him survive until we have real food in the morning.
But his luck has change...or would that be mine?

I heard you can make Black Bean brownies. Brilliant right? I am a firm believer of hiding veggies and I thought this was worth a try.
Test results:
It did make awesome/can't tell there are black beans brownies. It makes the brownies heavy and fudgy-er. I used a homemade recipe and haven't tried it on a mix, but I think it would turn a mix into fudge rather then Brownies.



The man child ate it! He had no idea that black beans were in there. I even told him they were when he asked for seconds and he didn't seem to care.
He gave me that "whatever" look with his eyes and asked for more.





"More black bean Brownies please."
Ah, there is nothing like pretending a dessert is good for you.
*Isn't there a scripture about this?

10 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I'm glad it worked out. I wonder if those brownies are still good 4 u if u eat the whole pan.

BTW, hows ur water heater? :-)

Andrea said...

You should post the recipe (hint, hint). Bethie, you crack me up! I loved your scripture reference. Do you get your ideas for diguising vegetables from that Jessica Seinfield cookbook?

Chelsea said...

If there isn't a scripture, there should be!

helmhq said...

Sugar cures almost anything! I've eaten bean brownies and I think they are great. Why don't I make them?

It's a good thing kids are so cute. Life would be so boring without them.

Sorensen said...

Great idea! I think I will try it!

Emily Nice said...

i wonder if brown beans would work too? he he he

Montana at the Helm said...

I like your way of thinking or should I say cooking and baking. I could go for some brownies right now. Black beans anyone?

Unknown said...

I'm glad that he liked the black bean brownies. I really like to eat black beans with my mexican food (which we eat just about everyday around these parts), I really don't like the smell of black beans when they cook. They stink up my whole house. I've never tried the brownies, but I rarely bake because I typically end up eating 3/4 of the pan. I LOVE your family's Easter picture, so cute!

Emily Nice said...

one question. does it have side effects... if you know what i mean?

WARNERS said...

Awesome idea. I want to try it - I agree, you should post the recipe!