Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Start to Christmas

Sunday night it snowed. Not a lot of snow, but it was cold and windy enough to make the roads fun to drive on!
The kid’s are excited about the snow and Natalie heads to school every morning with the proper gear. We are also letting Natalie ride the bus home. Now that the weather is cold, it is a lot easier on me because I don't need to back up Hannah and Andrew. She gets home a little before four. What a long day for a little girl! The pick up is at the bottom of the street and the drop off is at the top.
I think the best part of the day for Hannah is when Natalie comes home. Hannah adores her.

For family Home Evening, we counted all the change the children had collected over the year and we divided it by three. Each ended up with almost 12 dollars! The plan is for the kids to use the money to buy a gift for each other. We had them draw a name, which took a while because someone kept drawing their own name. There are not a lot of variables with three children.
Natalie and Hannah are excited about the whole thing and I have a feeling the gifts will not stay wrapped under the tree for long. Andrew doesn't understand what is going on, but seeing his sisters excited makes him bounce around the room!!
Today I'm hoping to make some gingerbread cookies to go on the tree we got Saturday.
Christmas is official here in the Dietrich home.

5 comments:

Smart Helm said...

How exciting! What an ingenious way to do the presents. That would be funny if the kids hand over all that change to the store clerk and made them count it. hee hee. I had to pull out the decorations last night even though I was so tired so I could enjoy them as long as possible. 2 weeks just isn't enough time.

Good luck with the presents!

Montana at the Helm said...

Gage is absolutely enjoying all of the Christmas decor! If he is awake the christmas lights must be on. Luckily he hasn't yet decided that the tree decorations need to come off and be played with.
I like how you are paying for the exchange gifts. That's a great idea!

txparkinsons said...

may i recommend putting the presents and/or tree in a playpen for safety? it was popular at the parkinson home ...

Unknown said...

Yeah! That sounds like lots of fun! We don't have many decorations up yet-just our tree with lights and no ornaments. We'll get there though-maybe tomorrow... Rich is working so much that I think we'll probably have to do everything without him. I miss the snow! It doesn't seem quite the same when there isn't any snow. We're spending Christmas in Ruidoso, so maybe we'll see some (hopefully).

helmhq said...

I remember the cookie tree days when there were little "ornament chewers" and before Christmas even came all the lower cookies were only heads hanging from their ribbon. Wish we had little ones to help us enjoy Christmas now!