Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Saturday, October 10, 2015

tournament

We went to a second tournament. I get so nervous and stressed for the kids that sometimes I think I'm more stressed out then they are. It's hard for me to see my kids pale and big eyed and when I try to catch their eyes to let them know that I'm here, your awesome and brave, and I love you all in a quick smile and two thumbs up, but they refuse to look over.

The competition for Hannah and Andrew was intense. There were a lot of kids in both Hannah and Andrew's groups. Most of the kids had been to a few tournaments and were very competitive. The last competition the kids had been in was when they were orange belts. For most this was their first competition so it was a lot more laid back. I think both Hannah and Andrew we surprised how competitive this tournament was. I"m sure they thought that they would take everything because they had been working hard and were so much better then they were in February. So it was surprising to them that they would have to work hard and focus to be able to place.

It took Hannah a little while to warm up. Forms are first. That is when they do a whole set of moves in a set order. These forms all have names. Hannah was called up first, which is a hard position to be. She really started to shine when it came to sparing and combat sparing.

Sparing is when you get to kick and punch the other person and Hannah is good at that. She is very strong and knocked over a two different girls, one of them twice. Each time Hannah looked up at me and I just mouthed, "It's OK." I noticed that Hannah held back a little. What a sweet girl she is feeling bad when she kicks a girl down.


Andrew did really well also. I think his group was a little larger then Hannah's. There are a lot of boys that do taekwando. There was one boy that was really good. He did a harder form then the other boys and was pretty darn awesome. Jim called him Bruce Lee. Andrew does spare with higher belts in class, but he has always had his speed to make things a little even. But this kid was the same size and just as quick! Andrew had to work really hard. It was a great learning experience for him. Jim called Andrew Chuck Norris.


Natalie's group was only five girls. Not a lot of girls start Taekwando at her age. It was so layed back. The girls were really nervous and not very focused on being competitive. One girl forgot part of her form, burst into tears and let the mat to her parents. The judges came over and talked to her telling her that they had all messed up or forgotten something at one time or another. Everyone was kind and helpful. It was a nice relief after watching Hannah and Andrew's


There were two gyms to use at this tournament. I'm so grateful that were in the smaller one because it was HOT. For some reason they did not have the air conditioning on. When the kids took off their sparing gear they were covered in sweat! Yuck!





 Ah. The spoils!



2 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Great job kids! This was a good write up... I would have been stressed for them too :)

Helm Headquarters said...

Congratulations Kids!! Way to go! And a big thanks to Mom for taking you to the practices and then writing it up so well.