Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Soccer

I'm sorry that I am behind in my blogs. My excuse is my level of activity. It has been the kind of busy that does not leave time for me to sit around feeling sorry for myself. Last week was full of this awesome kind of busy and I have pictures from a totally wicked Halloween party. Don't worry it was family friendly!! I will post those pictures later. The reason the soccer post is first (though it was one day later) is because it felt easier. Plus what can be more important then soccer, besides working off the previous night's cookies, pies, candy, and doughnuts? It was really cold on Saturday. Brr! You will have to look under their coats and jackets to see the jersey color. I coached the blue team.
NJ is the one in the light pink jacket. NJ does a really good job of running back and kicking the ball away from the goal. Last year she would hurry and stand in front of the little goal so that the ball could not get past her, but this year she has really improved in her understanding of the game.
The one skill that seems to be the hardest to learn (besides passing) is being able to quickly change the direction of the ball or to turn it around. A lot of time our team scored on themselves. But we clapped and cheered them on just the same.
This is me trying to be the bossy coach and tell NJ where she should stand. She mostly likes to do her own thing. One thing about NJ is she is very competitive, so that I don't have to be running around trying to keep her engaged in the game. There was a few this year that I would have to refocus.
"No we are not playing monster! Please get up off the ground! Hey no playing in the nets!!! Stop! Come back!! Where are you going? COOOOMMMMEEE BACK! You just took a water break. Can't you wait until the ball goes out again? Yes I saw that big kick. Good job! "

The cutest thing was when they backed up 10 feet to kick the ball really hard. It mostly threw them off, but at least I could tell that the were planning a HUGE kick!
The most rewarding aspect of coaching was seeing the players improve. It may not necessarily be in terms of soccer skills, but in how they related to the other players or just their confidence in their own abilities. I loved it when a big smile would cover their face and they jumped up and down with excitement. "I did it coach! I did it!"
I have a drawn picture from one of my players. It is a picture of him and I playing soccer. That is why I coach, so that they can have fun playing the best sport in the world!

3 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I know u are the best coach ever because of the things u tell me. I would never be as patient as u. But what a great thing to have kids be involved in... cuz I agree with u.. .SOCCER IS GREAT!
What could be better than kicking a ball and running after it?

Montana at the Helm said...

I love your dialogue of the things you say as a coach. It's hilarious. It sounds like you really enjoy it.

I also laugh everytime I look at the loopy picture of Gage. It's awesome!

Mandy said...

Wow! That looks like fun (for the kids, at least) ;)

At least it is an activity where they're SUPPOSED to run around. We rehearsed our primary program today, and two hours is just way too long to keep those kids sitting! It sounds like you're doing a great job of actually getting most of the kids to run in the right direction too!