Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Spoon to good use

I took this video a while ago, and I'm tired of not posting things. To tell you the truth I have a few posts written out but never "aired." The reason you may ask? is the manly man. When I'm worried about a post-will it make since, does it sound silly or dumb-I have manly man look it over. GLUG! It falls into the ever stagnant pond of perfection. Talk about a lonely place! Manly man is a perfectionist and if he can't say what he wants in three sentences or less, it doesn't get written/sent. It's a great skill to have for memo's and things of work , but what about (do I dare use the word?) art. Or in my case an attempt at art. (I'm still in the crayon and construction paper stage. But hey, since when are crayons boring?).
He will be a tough editor to please. I'm working on thickening my skin in preparation . (If I look larger it is because of this skin thickening workout NOT because of the ice cream, cheese burger, pizza diet.) This short rant has nothing to do with the man child using his spoon, but there it is and I have said it.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

What a sweet boy! Thanks for posting video :) Maddie and Gwyn still do that sometimes, but usually the fingers don't make it all the way to the mouth with the spoon. Too cute.

I say that I am a recovering perfectionist. I'm sure your posts will be great without a proofreader/editor. (Cary catches any mistakes in mine AFTER I post them, and I change them as quickly as possible.)

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and your comments on mine. We're looking forward to seeing you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not excited or anything...

HappyStretchedThin said...

Refinement is always a good thing. And "perfection" almost always means someone else's ideas get allowed to modify your own. It's up to you, then, to decide what "perfection" you're going to keep, and what you want to keep "imperfect"

Case in point:
"GLUG! It falls into the ever stagnant pond of perfection."

Would this have been edited out (glug not a real word, the whole point of the post not being related to your title, etc.)? I personally find it a ripe example of my point from the last comment I made: you have the heart of a poet! "Glug" is an onomatopoeic attention-grabbing and emotive label, with a succinct and alliterative (Pond of Perfection) bit of mimetic imagery following close behind. Someone else's perfection IS like a stagnant pond, and EVER stagnating just brings home the metaphoric despair in the image (despair of time, it just stays in that place forever with no reprieve). And yet the whole image is couched in a context of light-hearted and playful teasing, so that the metaphor of despair is perceived as so over-the-top as to promote empathy in the reader, but not a similar oppressive lack of hope.

This is delightful stuff!

...Okay...I guess I've been analyzing literature a little too long today...

Emily Nice said...

I just want to say I like your posts,and it makes it so I want to post more/better so there!
xqkcgga! nwfmojou!(yahoo and dragon for so there)

Smart Helm said...

Have u looked at my blog lately? Talk about not worried about perfection... or any kind of fection. Its all about quantity to hide the quality.

So cute video! Love ur kids!

Unknown said...

Reading your blog and your family's comments always cracks me up. I miss hanging out with all of you. I wanted to comment on your piano coloring post-I want to laugh because I think that it's hilarious-however, I'm lucky that it has not yet happened to me. As I was reading about it Charley was staring at the computer screen and I was sitting there thinking "I hope that she doesn't get any ideas..."

Smart Helm said...

Bethy.. I just found a strange website... U might find it interesting though
http://queryshark.blogspot.com/