Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Friday, October 3, 2008

Yesterday

I am so glad that it is a new day! I also really like Friday's. Yesterday started out not being the best of mornings and I should have known that it was going to only get worse. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but in this case my gut feelings were right.
I was hoping to make breakfast, but instead ended up with cold cereal. Maybe if I had made the planned oatmeal with raisins the rest of the day could have moved happily along.
The man child got into the Frigidaire and decided to satisfy his egg fetish for the day, and painted wonderful yellow and goopy white pictures on the kitchen floor. The yokes clean up pretty easily, but the whites just slide around the floor in it's congealed form. After cleaning that up, I put the man child in his room to play with his toys while I took a shower. I guess that this wasn't necessary seeing that I no longer had eggs in the fridge, but he didn't mind and it made me feel safer. Now for the middle child....
Banana wanted to color a picture. I got her out a nice clean sheet of paper and a pencil. Seems harmless enough so I felt that everything would be ok while I took my shower. I didn't take a long shower but by the time I got out things had gotten black and ugly.
Banana no longer satisfied with the pencil decided that she should change it out for one of those dark black markers I keep up in a cup on the open shelve near the window. Needless to say this kind of black marker smells bad but can sure make beautifully dark art. The cheap paper that Ban was using could not hold this awesome marker and it leaked all over the kitchen table.
When I came into the kitchen she was waving her hand over her nose and grinning up at me. I'm sorry to admit but I did not return this cute smile. Ban was sent to her room while I scrubbed and scrubbed trying to remove the permanent marker of the kitchen table. Most of it came off which was good for Banana's salvation. Now for NJ...
NJ is in kindergarten and therefore I don't have to worry about her, but that didn't protect her from the curse of the day. She got stung from a hornet and cried and milked the situation for all it was worth. The school nurse did call me to let me know and to make sure she was not allergic to a sting. Back to the man child, poor guy.
The man child has this talent for getting into my kitchen drawers and yesterday it happened to be the knife drawer. I don't know how it happened but he sliced open the top of his head. I heard what sounded like he had been in the knife drawer and when I came to check on him I could see blood all over his hand. I thought that he had cut up his hand at first but after cleaning it up I couldn't see anything. Then I noticed blood all over his blanket!!! Apparently he had used his blanket to comfort his wound head. When I saw his blood soaked hair I about died, but knowing that head wounds bleed a lot I was able to stay under control. I cleaned it up and it wasn't too bad, but I wanted to make sure. Lands' End has a little clinic and it being almost 5:00 I didn't have much time to get him there. I called Manly man but he didn't answer so I headed out to Lands' End kids in tow. Needless to say, I got the man child there right before they closed. They cleaned out his cut which didn't feel to good and then they glued it shut. The doctor also sent me home with some antibiotics just in case. Hey! my kitchen knifes are clean!! All in all it cost me $30.00. You can't beat that. When we took MM to the ER for his cut (doing the same procedure) it cost a WHOLE lot more. Well, at least something went well and I am glad that the manly child's cut wasn't bad.
We picked up Manly man from work and I went into my room and read for the rest of the night except for the 6:30 lesson I had forgotten I had. Good thing it is a man so I'm sure he didn't notice my messy house (this is what I keep telling myself so I don't feel embarrassed).
To finish the day I had a bowl of sanity fixing and well deserved ice cream!

6 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Ice cream Ice cream, we all scream for ice cream!
Way to get through the day. Did the poor child cry? Or did he just take care of things with his blanket? Kinda a nice change from ur drama girls.
Love those kids! Send them to me for a couple days....

Montana at the Helm said...

I am laughing...because it wasn't my child and it sounds funny when you tell it. Way to stay call with the knife injury, I would have lost it and made things worse.

Angela said...

You should hear my story, cause I am not going to post it. Maybe call tomorrow or something!

Mandy said...

Oh no!

I hope you have had some calm days after that one. Sometimes it seems like 5 horrible minutes can ruin a whole happy day. You had a lot more drama than that!

Things are getting a lot easier around here in general, but I have some sickies right now.

Missing you guys!

Emily Nice said...

So is he going to have a wicked awesome scar, that when he is older gives him a mysterious, slightly dangerous look? =)

We are the Turner's! said...

I'm sorry to hear about your rough day. You well deserved the ice cream. Kids are the greatest blessing, but don't we wish they would just stay out of trouble because when they get into trouble it makes life even harder than it already is. You are an awesome mom Bethanie. Keep up the great work. Happy Belated Birthday, almost a month late. I was thinking about you on your special day. I love Andrew's Birthday cake. Great job!