Thou Shalt Have Fun...

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Drugstore Cowboy


Have you ever heard the phrase “drugstore cowboy”?
It refers to a person who is dressed up like a cowboy and that’s all they have; the clothing. No horse, no land, no talent…their boots are un-scuffed and unused.
If there are drugstore cowboys, then I am a drugstore writer.
I have the look but not the “goods” - not even the talent. I have a laptop that I write on, but like the cowboy with his boots, I have nothing to show for it. I even have a tea kettle and five kinds of tea, so that I can sit with my laptop sipping my hot tea sporadically as I write. And of course I’m sitting in a sunny place with that dazed sort of look, as if my thoughts are somewhere else. Which would also be true, but it is because of the lack of sleep. I wish I had a horse….
*I am not fishing for complements. I just thought it was a funny idea. But I wouldn't mind hearing how awesome I am...

5 comments:

Molly said...

At least you look the part! I haven't even gotten that far. I'm just a drugstore writer in my own mind. You're doing great and at least you have the self-discipline to keep at it!

helmhq said...

I could be very very slightly prejudiced, but I think you are a great witter. With great composers, not all of their music is liked by every one. An example, not everything Mozart wrote is great or even good music. We all have our brilliant moments! Better to have something, than wait until it's perfect. Keep witting! Keep up with those Herbal teas they have to help.

Smart Helm said...

That is pretty funny. Of course I think ur a great writer. And I've read ur stuff so I know.

At least ur not a street corner writer! :-) (I really think that is funny... I'm laughing out loud alot)

Maybe u could try a short story. When I get tired of crocheting, I gotta do something where I get results imediately. There is a start and there is a FINISH!

txparkinsons said...

just stop ... write the book ... let me read it! alec can't wait ...

Emily Nice said...

I think you've posted some of the best posts ever! so even though I haven't read your story, I think you are a brilliant writer.

as long as it makes you happy does it really matter? I'm not a great gardener (half my brocoli is already dying) but it makes me happy so I keep doing it. I go to work so I can support my garden habbit.

Street-corner writer? That toook me a bit to figure out. Must have been funnier in person -just kidding Melanie :)