Even though my pea plants are gone, there are a few things in my yard that are going right.
My roses and my Salvia.
My roses are just beginning to bloom.

Rose #1. If any of you know how I should prune them, please let me know.

Rose #2.

Look at all those rose buds!

The Salvia under my front window.
8 comments:
beautiful!
Ya for Gardens! I'm happy ur having some success.
I really liked ur picture of pizza in the sidebar as well.. I might try it when it gets COOLER here.
PS, Jared is pretty proud of being first. He told me :-)
Roses: supposed to prune about 1/3 to 2/3 shorter depending on how well they've been pruned in the past. More makes for bigger roses, less makes for more roses. Then, roses like to have air between their leaves so you prune them like a vase with a bit of hollowness inside them. Then, you cut off all the stems that are skinnier than a pencil so that the rose concentrates on the more substantial stems - oh, and you are supposed to not allow it to play around with it's suckers - they sap all the energy from the rose and end up not branching. Of course all this is supposed to happen in the spring.
(I like to just take a chain saw out and hack off 1/3 of the plant.)
Then after a rose blooms and dies you trim down the stem to the first bunch of leaves with 5 leaves on it.
(Or you just wait until spring when you hack it off with the chainsaw.)
(-;
Your flowers are really pretty. It's rewarding to have things blooming.
I found a couple of simple and easy video's on YouTube that gave good examples of pruning, but mostly just think of the shape you want and the flowers you want and trim like any other flowering bush! If they make it sound hard look for a better one.
YAY FOR FLOWERS! They are gorgeous. I should get some roses, but I got lots of berry plants instead. I always just google my garden questions, there should be some info on roses, but I think you'll want to wait till their done blooming.
How pretty! I'm love the purple flowers-I'm kind of a sucker for purple flowers, although I try to buy more colors so that we have some variety.
I think it's cool that you had the guts to take a wall down. I've been kind of itching for a project lately. I've been veering toward paint because I think that it's pretty cheap and easy. But when I told Richard I wanted to paint the entertainment center he got pretty defensive. I didn't think it would be a big deal because we're going to get rid of it pretty soon anyways-so if I totally ruin it, it wouldn't really be that big of a deal. Geez... So I guess that I will have to think of something else.
Sis, I spend a little too much time on "my" roses in front of our house. As Heidi said I am a bigger roses kind of guy. However, I use them as a barrier/border so I need them to come up a bit. I always have opinions on varieties and management methods. Speaking of which, I have usually "tried it" at one time or another...Big Bro
It's fun to see the progress your yard has made since we left Iowa.
Post a Comment